Hey there! Are you ready to experience the soaring mountain peaks, abundant wildlife, and gorgeous vistas of Rocky Mountain National Park?!
This park is a hiker’s paradise — it offers up some of the best alpine scenery in the world accessible by a series of phenomenal trails. And at nearly 12,000 feet, the Trail Ridge Road is one of the most incredible scenic drives in the entire country!
There is so much to do. You may have already looked at a map and felt a little overwhelmed — and eager — to make sure you don’t miss the best sights.
I’m a former park ranger, and I’ll help you plan your vacation down to the details. I’ve extensively explored Rocky Mountain and am here to help!
Whether this is your first time to Rocky, or if you are returning after many years and would like to be reintroduced to the park, this list of 12 things is for you.
What You Need to Know
- Don’t miss out on anything during your trip! For the best experience, get an early start to your day and have a solid plan — like this detailed itinerary.
- No lodging is available within the park, but camping is available. Rocky Mountain has five front-country campgrounds, and sites get snatched up fast! Be sure to learn all about camping in Rocky Mountain National Park if you plan on camping in the park.
- The Trail Ridge Road closes from approximately October – May because of high elevation snow. Check the official NPS site for information on seasonal road opening and closing dates.
- Learn the warning signs of altitude sickness. If you start experiencing headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, or fatigue, you may need to get to a lower elevation. Be sure to drink plenty of water and take your time as you hike in Rocky to allow your body to acclimatize to the high elevation.
- Numerous hiking trails converge and overlap in this park, so you don’t want to be caught hiking without a map. This is the map I use and recommend for Rocky Mountain National Park.
I’ll make sure that you don’t miss the sights that make this park so famous, but I also want to provide a few treasures that are off the beaten path as well. Let the adventure begin!
READY FOR A VACATION THAT YOUR FAMILY CAN’T STOP TALKING ABOUT?
See Rocky Mountain’s BEST SIGHTS at the BEST TIMES with this hour-by-hour itinerary!
Click NEXT to see this exciting list of 10 things you can’t miss on your first visit to Rocky Mountain National Park!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that (at no extra cost to you) I receive a small compensation if you make a purchase. Recommended products are only those that I personally love! I appreciate your support and welcome any questions you may have about any products featured on my site. Thanks! Ash