Hey there! Are you ready to plan an adventurous trip to Great Sand Dunes National Park?! Get ready to have fun in the sun while exploring the tallest sand dunes in North America! You are sure to find something here that everyone in your group will LOVE.
Great Sand Dunes is unforgettable — and likely somewhere you will talk about for many years. Your upcoming trip here will be a unique and exciting adventure guaranteed to bring out your inner child 🙂
There are some fantastic things to do here. You may have already looked at a map and been a little overwhelmed — and eager — to make sure that you don’t miss the best sights.
I’m a former park ranger, and I’ll help you plan your vacation down to the details. I’ve extensively explored Great Sand Dunes and am here to help! Whether this is your first time to the dunes, or if you are returning after many years and would like to be reintroduced to the park, this list of 5 things is for you.
What You Need to Know
- This park protects the tallest dunes in North America! The perfect recipe of sand, wind, water, and mountains created these spectacular dunes. Stop into the visitor center to learn more about what makes this area so cool.
- At this park, it’s crucial to watch the weather. Snow, lightning, extreme heat, and gusty winds are some common things you’ll want to watch out for before heading into the dunes. Getting sand-blasted is not fun!
- There are no hotel options within Great Sand Dunes National Park, but there is a campground. If you’re looking for somewhere to stay or eat, check out the Great Sand Dunes Oasis just outside of the park. Otherwise, there are more options in the town of Alamosa.
- Great Sand Dunes is open year round, and entrance fees are required. You’ll pay these fees as you enter the park if the entrance station is staffed.
- This park is mostly designated wilderness, which means that there are very few roads and trails here. The only paved road in the park goes to the Day-Use Parking Area and the campground — you cannot drive on the dunes. Take a look at the park map.
I’ll make sure that you don’t miss the sights that make this park so popular, but I also want to provide a few treasures that are off the beaten path as well. Let the adventure begin!