Hey there! Are you ready to plan an exciting trip to Mount Rushmore National Memorial?! This is perhaps the most famous and iconic stone carving in all of America, and you are sure to find something here that everyone in your group will LOVE.
Mount Rushmore is a place where memories are made — and somewhere you will talk about for years to come. Celebrate George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln, the U.S. Presidents whose faces are memorialized in the Black Hills of South Dakota. This magnificent sculpture will leave you speechless!
Mount Rushmore is an icon of the American West, but there’s more here than what meets the eye. You’re probably eager to make the most of your vacation and to hit the best sights.
I’m a former park ranger, and I’ll help you plan your vacation down to the details. I’ve extensively explored Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills and am here to help! Whether this is your first time to Mount Rushmore, or if you are returning after many years and would like to be reintroduced to the area, this list of 5 things is for you.
What You Need to Know
- Mount Rushmore doesn’t charge an entry fee, but it does charge a parking fee. This means that your annual pass (senior pass, America the Beautiful pass, etc.) will not get you in for free. All visitors must pay the parking fee upon entry to the memorial.
- The memorial is open year-round, but you’ll want to check the current hours before you go.
- Self-guided tours of Mount Rushmore are available for rent as you enter the memorial. If you want to learn about the area in-depth or entertain your kids with junior ranger activities, I recommend picking one up!
- No overnight parking or in-park lodging is available at Mount Rushmore, but the nearby communities of Keystone, Hill City, and Custer provide plenty of lodging options within a short distance of the memorial. A food court is available on-site for meals.
- Pets are not permitted at Mount Rushmore except within the parking structure.
I’ll make sure that you don’t miss the most popular sights, but I also want to provide a few treasures that are off-the-beaten-path as well. Let the adventure begin!