Hey there! Are you ready to plan an extraordinary trip to North Cascades National Park?! Known as the “American Alps”, these never-ending jagged peaks will fill your soul and awaken your sense of adventure! You are sure to find something here that everyone in your group will LOVE.
North Cascades is a place unlike any other — and somewhere you will talk about for years to come. With over 300 magnificent glaciers, spectacular wildflower-covered mountains, and glimmering alpine lakes, this park is sure to inspire you!
There is so much to do. You may have already looked at a map and been a little overwhelmed — and eager — to make sure that you don’t miss the best sights.
I’m a former park ranger, and I’ll help you plan your vacation down to the details. I’ve extensively explored North Cascades National Park and am here to help! Whether this is your first time to the park, or if you are returning after many years and would like to be reintroduced to the park, this list of 8 things is for you.
What You Need to Know
- This park is confusing! What is typically referred to as North Cascades is made up of three different sections — Ross Lake National Recreation Area, Lake Chelan National Recreation Area, and North Cascades National Park. All three sections together are called the North Cascades National Park Complex. The complex is surrounded by national forests, which include some of the best views ever! Traveling to each section will make your trip EPIC, but take a look at the park map to get your bearings before you go.
- You can visit the park anytime, but most people plan their trips for July – September for a better chance of snow-free trails. The park is open year round, though many services and parts of the main park highway close down during the winter.
- The park has two lodges, and they both are not accessible by road! To make lodging reservations or to learn more about your options, click here.
- Camping options abound in the North Cascades! There are sites for car camping, boat camping, group camping, wilderness camping, and bicycle camping. Check out all the options here.
- Most of this park is designated wilderness area. For your safety, know the trail conditions before you go!
I’ll make sure that you don’t miss the most popular sights, but I also want to provide a few treasures that are off the beaten path as well. Let the adventure begin!
Click NEXT to see this exciting list of 8 things you can’t miss on your first visit to North Cascades National Park!